Here are our top 6 news headlines in the Boston area today

View in browser

 

Today's Top Headlines

Friday, August 29

Received this email from a friend? Sign up here.

Good morning Wypierdalaj,

We're tracking rain and a few storms today ahead of a more fall-like Labor Day weekend. We're also following top news stories in Concord, where a woman allegedly left a suspicious device at a convenience store in what was a hoax, and in Shrewsbury, where a man was killed in a confrontation. I'm Kaitlin McKinley Becker, and these are our top headlines this morning.

 

Below are the latest local stories from our reporters.

1

Tracking rain and storms today, then much better weather through holiday weekend

Grab your umbrella!

We’re tracking rain and a few storms today before more fall-like weather settles in for the holiday weekend.

A cold front will move through the Commonwealth today, giving way to scattered showers and storms.

Full story
2

Woman crashes into Lincoln home after allegedly leaving suspicious device in Concord shop

A woman is in custody after allegedly bringing a suspicious device into a shop in Concord, Massachusetts, prompting evacuations of nearby businesses Thursday night.

Police and fire officials in Concord said crews responded to Sudbury Road around 7:30 p.m.

The woman allegedly walked into a Dunkin’ store with a suitcase, pulled the fire alarm, and walked out. Authorities said the woman then walked into Nine Acre Farm Convenience & Deli — steps away in the same building — fleeing after leaving the bag inside and telling workers there was going to be a fire.

Full story
3

‘Senseless tragedy': Man killed in Shrewsbury confrontation; suspect in custody

A man was shot and killed during a confrontation in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, on Thursday, officials said. The suspected shooter surrendered to police after a standoff.

Neither man had been publicly identified as of Thursday evening. The suspected shooter, 26, was due in Westborough District Court Friday on charges in connection with the killing, though the Worcester County District Attorney’s Office didn’t specify what the charges were.

The 57-year-old man who was killed had just dropped his 6-year-old off at Coolidge Elementary School nearby — it was the first week of school — and was walking back when he spotted the suspect near the bridge over Jordan Pond, Worcester County District Attorney Joseph Early said.

Full story
4

Healey rejects any federal takeover of Boston's South Station as ‘outrageous'

Gov. Maura Healey is rejecting the possibility of a federal takeover of South Station after a Trump administration official called for a cleanup of the major Boston train hub.

In remarks about the brand-new generation of Amtrak’s high-speed Acela trains, Deputy Secretary of Transportation Steven Bradbury on Wednesday invoked the federal takeovers of Union Station in Washington, D.C., and a massive reconstruction project at New York’s Penn Station.

“Similarly here, in South Boston, we need to address the cleanliness, the crime, the safety and security of the station, for the rail workers, for the passengers, because the people of Boston deserve that,” Bradbury said.

Full story
5

Warren says Trump is ‘politicizing' health and safety of Americans

Sen. Elizabeth Warren sat down with NBC10 Boston this week for an exclusive interview to discuss some of the headlines currently coming out of Washington.

Hours prior to our conversation, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Susan Monarez was dismissed for what her attorneys say was Monarez’ refusal to “rubber stamp unscientific, reckless directives.”

“This is Donald Trump trying to politicize yet another part of government,” Warren said. “This time, what he’s politicizing is our health and safety.”

Full story
6

Top Red Sox pitching prospect Payton Tolle to make MLB debut Friday: Reports

Alex Cora played coy when asked by reporters Thursday in Baltimore who would be making the start for Boston on Friday night at Fenway Park. As it turns out, the Red Sox manager had good reason.

The Red Sox will hand the ball to their top pitching prospect, Payton Tolle, to make his MLB debut on Friday night against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal first reported the news, with MassLive’s Christopher Smith following up with the same information.

Full story