It’s been a tough year for tourism boosters in Los Angeles. In January, devastating wildfires flared in Pasadena and Pacific Palisades, killing 31 people and destroying thousands of homes. With spring came the Trump administration’s immigration crackdown and the counterprotests that rippled through several neighborhoods. Amid the flood of disruptions, the nation’s second-largest city saw a dip in visitors. Luckily, they had a plan for that. According to the risk mitigation framework of the Los Angeles Tourism & Convention Board, the wildfires ranked as a “category 3 risk,” meaning they had the potential to impact visitation for up to half a year and wipe out 5% of the budget of the tourism promotion group, which is funded by local hotel taxes. Through public records requests, Bloomberg CityLab obtained internal documents from more than a dozen state and local tourism entities that outline how to respond to various kinds of disasters. Volcanic eruptions, earthquakes and civil unrest are among the scenarios mentioned by the plans from cities like Atlanta and Austin. The plans offer a rare look inside the tourism industry’s crisis management arm, which has grown in importance as climate-change-fueled disasters become more frequent and severe, along with social media’s ability to amplify and potentially distort them. In the wake of major incidents, local visitors bureaus mobilize to help keep brands intact and travel dollars flowing. Read the full story on Bloomberg.com. Destroyed homes after the Palisades Fire in the Pacific Palisades area of Los Angeles in January 2025. Photographer: Roger Kisby/Bloomberg A Sierra Club employee filed a workplace misconduct complaint earlier this year with the board of directors alleging that then-executive director Ben Jealous engaged in sexual harassment and bullying. Reached for comment on the complaint, Jealous said in a statement he had been the victim of racial discrimination by the Sierra Club. Exxon Mobil Corp. said net zero goals for the global energy sector are likely to drift further beyond 2050 due to consumers pushing back against high costs and a revival in demand for coal, the most polluting fossil fuel. Commonwealth Fusion Systems raised $863 million from investors including AI giant Nvidia Corp. to help complete a demonstration system and continue development of its first commercial fusion power plant. By Coco Liu US battery makers will likely face a major surplus in manufacturing capacity by 2030 as President Donald Trump's administration withdraws support for electric vehicles, according to a new report. The US is forecast to deploy nearly 378 gigawatt-hours of batteries by 2030, BloombergNEF said in a report published Thursday, 56% lower than the group’s forecast issued before Trump took office. It means the country’s battery makers face a looming overcapacity issue with 193 gigawatt-hours of batteries capacity online already and an additional 428 gigawatt-hours likely to be built out by 2030. Meanwhile, battery makers are at risk of losing another type of buyer: power companies. Utilities in recent years have deployed large-scale batteries to avoid blackouts and store excessive output generated by renewable energy sources. Virtually non-existent a decade ago, utility-scale battery installations in the US reached a total of 26 gigawatts last year. In Texas alone, some 4 gigawatts of battery capacity — enough to power around 3 million homes — switched on in 2024. But the Trump administration has announced rules that push energy storage project developers to steer clear of Chinese battery materials and components in order to qualify for tax credits, which will be hard for the industry. China dominates the global trade of battery components, with 88% of the world’s cathode and 96% of anode production capacity in 2024, according to BNEF. Read the full story on Bloomberg.com. Low-carbon tech investments reached $2.1 trillion last year. But with the whole world trying to work out how to navigate US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable policy agenda, is 2025 still a good time to invest in climate tech? Back in May on Zero, Akshat Rathi interviewed Greg Wasserman, head of private company climate investment at Wellington Management, which oversees more than $1 trillion in assets. Wasserman weighed the risks and opportunities in a volatile market. Listen here, and subscribe on Apple, Spotify, or YouTube to get episodes of Zero every Thursday. A panel of switches for the heat pumps and boilers. Photographer: Hollie Adams/Bloomberg |